Whoever is hitchhiking has to take the risk of an accident or becoming a victim of a crime. Because of that, always remember: Your driver is the critical point.
Basics of behaviour
- Choose a good and safe place for hitchhiking (a lot of space for safe stopping or a gas station)
- Do not jump in every car, have a look before (alcohol…)
- Listen to your gut feeling and have common sense in mind
- Say no
- Get out of the car
Know the risks to lower them
- Keep cash and valuables carried directly on you
- Your luggage should be in the front, as close to you as possible
- Note the magic deboarding order: open front – open back – close back – close front.
- While hitchhiking the rape forcing stereotype of sexual availability becomes a manifest
- Be selfconfident
- Wear long cloths
- Do not hitchhike alone
- Do not go for short distances
- Do not go at night
- Do not go with one or more men
- Send a licence plate message
- Pepper spray (?)
What to do in case of acute danger?
- Create a personal relation to the driver: talk talk talk
- Keep a cool head: clear verbale denial
- Withstand and resist
- Use a convenient opportunity to force the driver to stop (simulate nausea, use the hand brake, keep the door open with your feet, burn some paper …)
- Fight, kick, scream, bite, beat …
Never pull out the keys. That will activate the wheel lock and cause an accident immediately.